Sunday, January 3, 2010

It’s a Good Thing I Am not My Hair!


Music is so fortunate to have wonderfully, gifted, talented ladies like Jill Scott and Alicia Keys and India Arie. These are real ladies with real talent. I mean, how many times have you got a 'feel good' while singing “living your life like it’s golden” or “some people want it all, but I don’t want nothing at all if I ain’t got you baby”. Today I’m vibing India Arie. “I am not my hair!” I tried verse 6 on for a reality check.

“Breast Cancer and Chemotherapy
Took away her crown and glory
She promised God if she was to survive
She would enjoy everyday of her life ooh
On national television
Her diamond eyes are sparkling
Bald headed like a full moon shining
Singing out to the whole wide world like HEY...”

You know the funny thing is that it’s the only real effect of chemo I’ve experienced. Oh, I haven’t told you have I. Well, the other day I decided to wash my hair, it was 3 or 4 days after my last chemo hit. Some of it came out in my hands, not too unusual after taking down my braids. I even put conditioner in it and rinsed. It was only when I pulled the wide toothed comb through did I realize the comb was like a barbers clippers cutting through a “leaping fro”. It only took 5 or 6 strokes of the comb to see that my hair, which hung just below my shoulder, was now less than 1 inch long. Do I sound upset?

I’m really not, it’s just hair and I was tired of having to die it, perm it, press it, braid it, twist it. The upsetting part of this process is that I lost my hair because of CANCER! This thing is a cankerworm that is literally eating away at the population at alarming rates. Do any of you NOT know someone with cancer? It is indiscriminate, it hates human beings and it is NOT God’s creation. How crazy is it that it is no longer unusual to know someone with cancer?

Anyway, I kinda like the feel of the smooth skin on my head, it’s very soft. And the shape is not that bad either, ha, ha! Of course I had to call two of my brothers and ask them how to take care of my hairless dome. And fellas beware, I’m kind of impulsive – please forgive me if I walk up to you and stroke your smooth shiny head; I’m just checking to see if it’s as smooth as mine. I gotta tell you I’m enjoying the freedom of it but I just have one question – how do you stand it in the winter???????

I am truly not my hair and that’s a good thing!

2 comments:

Admin said...

Beautiful picture and great post. It always amazes me how one can find music to match almost any mood or situation. It's great that you're dealing with the hair loss so well. I probably would be tripping! I pray God blesses you with your complete healing this year!

Jessica Denise said...

You're beautiful!