Monday, March 20, 2017

Words to Write by Wednesday: Say What You Need to Say!

I can’t take credit for this one but listen, if it don’t fit, don’t force it! Let’s see, how else can I say this - how about - no fat, no filler. 

SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY! My fiction writers, we know you must write all kinds of juicy details to engage us, keep us interested, But you do NOT have to be frivolous with your words. In fact, don’t waste my time!

I remember the high school papers that had to be at least 5 pages long so I filled them with meaningless page filling material. If you expect your readers to become loyal to you and tell their friends how good you are - don’t do this.

Take the time to create strong sentences, rich with details and interesting facts that keep me on the edge of my seat. Then, as my heart beats faster in anticipation, watch me as I exclaim under my breath “oh my God, I did not see that coming! Wait, let me go back to chapter 3!”

That is the benefit of tight writing where not one word is wasted, but carefully crafted to lull me into security then spring a jaw-dropping surprise on me. That’s why you should cut out the fat and use no fillers…just say what you need to say! And even if you don’t write fiction, it still holds true. If it don’t fit, don’t force it…save it for the sequel!



via Tumblr http://ift.tt/2mKUamq

No comments: