Monday, March 20, 2017

Words to Write by Wednesday: What does your reader look like?

Odd question huh? But, I find it helpful to determine or even imagine how my reader looks. Sometimes we need accountability when we write. Creating an image of your audience can be just the thing to help you stay on track and remain authentic.

It’s easy to remain believable in your coming of age story set in a high school.when your audience is a 15 year old girl with neon colored fingernails, Gap jeans and 50 tubes of lip gloss. Keeping her in front of you will help you focus and see your story through her eyes.

Your expose on the perils of combat will be easier to write when you think of the veteran soldier who is going to read it. You will picture him in fatigues, with his weapon.defending his country and you will know you must honor him.

I often go to these levels when I feel as if i have not hit the nail on the head. But I have a standard image of my reader that serves me well. My reader is sitting at home in their favorite chair in their underwear - ok - pajamas and they have my book in their hands! On the table is a tall glass of Pepsi on ice - ok - wine. As I picture my reader, book in hand, and an eager look of anticipation on their face I know I must do my very best to satisfy them.I am honored they are spending their time and their $$ with me and my book.

Feel free to use my reader as your muse if you must. But, by all means, consider them when you write. Respect your reader’s time, don’t waste it. Engage them and keep them engaged. Speak as the expert you are and don’t be frivolous with your words. Make each word count! They’ve spent money on your book, don’t make them regret it!

My reader is a fan!



via Tumblr http://ift.tt/2mKPBIG

No comments: